You were injured in a car accident, where the other driver was at fault. Colorado is a fault state, so you can file a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. File an insurance claim with their insurer within a reasonable time, and you may get an offer from their claims adjuster. While all that seems easy on paper, getting a fair compensation can be tough. Here are 8 secrets for maximizing your car accident compensation.
- Get an attorney. Consider consulting a car accident attorney Colorado Springs soon after your accident. Personal injury attorneys can change the outcome of your case, with their sheer expertise and experience.
- Take photos of the accident site. Right after an accident, you must take photographic evidence of the scene. Take photos of your injuries, vehicle damage, and everything else, which will be crucial evidence for the case.
- Meet an injury doctor. Instead of going to your primary care physician, you should meet an injury doctor. Let them know that you were involved in a car accident, and they will do the necessary medical documentation accordingly.
- Don’t forget to call local law enforcement. You may want to call 911 before anyone else. Do not flee the scene, or let anyone talk you out of calling the police. The police report is necessary, and even when your call is not answered, you have a record that you made that call.
- Ask your lawyer to investigate. The insurance company will do their share of investigation, but your lawyer’s work also matters. If you have hired an attorney, they will do their share to build your case. This should be done right after the accident, so that important evidence is not missed.
- Don’t accept the first offer. The claims adjuster may offer a so-called settlement, but remember that the insurance company will always want to pay less. Do not accept the first offer, and allow your lawyer to negotiate.
- Don’t admit fault. Even if you had a minor share of fault, don’t accept anything. If the insurance company pressurizes for a settlement or statement, you have the right to refuse.
- Don’t wait to take action. While you have three years, as per the statute of limitations in Colorado, to file a personal injury lawsuit, don’t wait for long. Contact an attorney soon after and work on the case.
Shortlist a few best-rated attorneys in your area in Colorado.