Home Improvement

Are Electric Fireplaces Safe For Kids and Pets?


A home can easily be made more comfortable and interesting by installing a fireplace. And with the many available options for possible fireplaces for your home, the wall mounted electric fire—also known as the electric fireplace—is easily the most efficient choice. It is a supplementary heat source, much like a fireplace, but one that does not need gas or wood in order to produce it. An electric fireplace does not need a chimney, so you wouldn’t have to worry about installing one in your house (if you don’t have it yet) or cleaning it every time you use your fireplace.

But while wall mounted elected fires are efficient, is it safe? Is it the safest option among the fireplaces in the market?

The answer is simple: not only are electric fireplaces safe for pets, they are probably the safest compared to the likes of wood and gas fireplaces.

No hazard

But why is this the case? First off, a wall mounted fire is safe because it does not produce any hazardous remains after every use. For instance, with wood fireplaces, you would need any supplementary material that would help produce the fire, the remnant of which can get stuck in the chimney and become a fire hazard.

Meanwhile, gas fireplaces are just as dangerous. Since these fireplaces use gas, there is the danger of gas fumes and leakage that are also home fire hazards. Fumes and gas leaks are health hazards too, as they can be allergens or, worse, cause long-term lung damage when exposed to it for a long time.

Electric fireplaces, in addition, do not need any installation since it is wall mounted, with electricity as its heat source. There is no need for clean up and maintenance. And it does not use actual fire, too, so using it is safe for everyone, including kids and pets who may not be able to recognize the dangers of a wall or gas fireplace. A wall mounted electric fire can easily be kept out of reach of children and pets as well, and it wouldn’t affect its efficiency and use.

How to make it safer

Of course, there are ways to make wall mounted electric fires much more safe to use.For instance, it is best to unplug its cord when not in use. You should also keep any flammable away from the electric fireplace. You should also unplug and refrain from using the electric fireplace when it is malfunctioning or showing signs of damage, like producing unusual sounds or sparks while in use. Try to put it in a place where children and pets won’t reach or be drawn to it. While the cases of electric fireplaces burning are almost non-existent (it functions just like any other electronic, after all), it is best to be cautious at all times.

But overall, a wall mounted electric fire is the safest fireplace option around—especially when you have children and pets at home.

Mia Johnson
Mia Johnson is a writer with a ten-year long career in journalism. She has written extensively about health, fitness, and lifestyle. A native to Melbourne, she now lives in Sydney with her 3 dogs where she spends her days writing and taking care of her 900 square feet garden.

    Choosing the Best Earbud Is NO More A Tedious task

    Previous article

    Fixing Common Kitchen Problems

    Next article

    You may also like


    Comments are closed.