Kitchen hoods are an important part of any restaurant since they aid in ventilation and removing hazardous particles from the air. Maintaining the condition of your hood systems is critical.
Making an effort to maintain your hoods clean, in addition to doing regular maintenance inspections, can assist in ensuring that they remain in a good functional state.
But kitchen exhaust cleaning is not an easy task, and it may become even trickier if you are unfamiliar with the process. Though you may hire a professional kitchen cleaning service, knowing the procedure is always a good idea. In this post, we will show you how to clean a kitchen hood properly.
The Advantages of Cleaning the Kitchen Hood
The restaurant kitchen hood receives a steady stream of filthy, greasy air, which causes a buildup of grime, dirt, and greasy substances. When oil and dirt are eliminated, the overall functioning of the kitchen hood improves. Following are some benefits of cleaning kitchen hoods.
- Improves the movement of air in the kitchen. The accumulation of grease and filth in the air vents reduces air circulation, making cooking less pleasant and healthy.
- Improves the general hygiene of the kitchen. Contamination can occur when old food and leftovers remain in a cooking area. The entire space is polluted by a filthy hood.
- Minimizes the chances of a kitchen blaze. Grease is a combustible substance. Grease creates the condition for potential kitchen hazards when it’s built up or leaking from the ceiling.
- A clean kitchen means you are maintaining the law. So, cleaning your commercial range hood is necessary to be in compliance with the local law.
- It saves you money by avoiding fines and bans. By eliminating any buildup on your blower blades, you’ll also extend the life of the fan motor.
How to clean kitchen hoods
So, you know the importance. Now here is how to clean kitchen hoods.
Continue reading to learn how to clean your kitchen hoods, filters, and grease traps.
Cleaning exhaust hood
To clean an exhaust hood, follow the steps below:
- First, remove grease traps, fans, and filters, from your kitchen hood to make sure that each part is cleaned individually.
- Prepare a hot and liquid degreaser mixture in a container.
- Scrub inside part of the hood with the solution using a scrub pad, cloth, or brush. Make sure there’s no grease or other debris behind. Again, Scrub the hood exterior with the grease removing solution to clean any extra grease.
- Clean the interior and the exterior with a wet towel after scrubbing to eliminate any soapy residue. After that, dry them with a different towel.
Cleaning Kitchen hood filter
To clean the kitchen hood filter, follow the steps below:
- First, take out the air filters from the range hood
- Make a solution of liquid degreaser with a proper ratio of hot water in a large tub
- Next, soak the filters in the water for a few minutes. Allow the filters to soak for 2-3 hours, or overnight if possible.
- Scrub any remaining dirt from the filters with a soft cloth before rinsing them with water to remove any leftovers.
- Before putting the filters back in the kitchen hood, let them air dry completely.
Cleaning kitchen hood fans
To clean kitchen hood fans, follow the steps below
- First, remove the fan from the kitchen hood to clean it.
- Remove the fan blade cover with a drill once you have removed the blower.
- Now remove each fan blade and put a mark on them for later reinstallation. You’ll be able to clean the individual fan blades as a result of this.
- Soak the blades in warm water with soap for a few minutes.
- Remove the fan blades from the liquid and let them dry after they have soaked.
- Finally, replace the blades and reinstall the blower into the kitchen hood once they have dried.
Cleaning Kitchen Hood Ducts
To clean the kitchen hood ducts, follow the steps below
- In a container, make a cleanser with warm water and a fluid degreaser.
- Scrub the inside of the open duct with a non-abrasive cleaning pad or a brush.
- Scrub the exposed duct’s outside using the same brush or pad
Leave the duct to dry after you’ve finished cleaning it.