Thousand & thousands of slip and fall accidents occur each year and thus the number of case file keeps increasing. In these cases, since the injured parties trip and fall on the premises owned by someone else, the property owners are legally held liable for such personal injury and ensuing compensation. However, the premises owner may not be entirely responsible for the slip or trip & fall accident sometimes; the accident may take place due to inattention of the injured party as well. In such a case, it is wise to seek legal help from an experienced & well recognized Atlanta slip and fall attorney for lodging a compensation claim.
How can the property owner be liable to your injuries?
When you accidentally slip and fall on a premises owned by someone else, that property owner remains legally responsible for your critical injuries. One of the following points will be true in this regard and help you claim your compensation as well.
- The owner of the property must have been well aware of the probable dangerous outcomes much beforehand. He or she knew how risky & hazardous the surface of the property was but have taken no immediate action in this regard.
- The owner or one of his employees must have done something to make the ground unsafe for walking freely on it. Spillage of liquids on the surface, causing the spot to be damaged somehow, throwing slippery items on the ground etc. are the activities enough for making the worst underfoot condition.
- The owner or any staff must have aware of the risky ground of the property because a “reasonable” individual looking after the property would have fixed the imperfections right after discovering it. This situation is widely seen in such cases. Judges actually determine whether the proprietor of the premises was careful enough and the actions taken to safeguard the property were reasonable.
Reasonable actions on the part of the property owner
How the property owner or the defendant took reasonable actions is rather considered in these cases. In order to determine whether actions adopted by the premises owner or the person taking care of the property was reasonable enough, the law verifies whether the concerned person followed necessary steps to avoid the risks and kept the premises clean and safe as well.
- Does the owner make regular efforts to clean and repair the property?
- If you slipped over an object placed on the floor, was there any valid reason for the item to be there?
- Was the owner aware of the changes to the floor?
These are some initial queries the property owner may be asked. If the owner’s answer convinces the judges that there was something wrong with the ground, you will have an obvious claim for accidental compensation. The legal representatives are there to help you understand the procedure and the enactment of law.
If you want to be guided in a case of slip & fall injury in detail, you may discuss with Atlanta slip and fall attorney to understand how these cases work and how to receive the right amount of compensation at the earliest.